- Employer: SPARC
- Type of Position: Full-Time Job
- Industry: Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics
- Location: San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Salary Range: Hourly
Facilities & Operations Specialist
JOB TITLE: Facilities & Operations Specialist
STATUS: Non-Exempt (Full-time)
COMPENSATION: Hourly; after 90 days full-time, includes full medical benefits (90% employer paid), dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability covered (100% paid) and paid sick time accrual.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for managing and directing the facilities and operational functions with a primary focus at crop production locations. Provide technical and engineering expertise to diagnose and solve problems relating to the operations; develop project plans, cost estimates and justification; and, manage the project to completion. Organize and direct the maintenance function to ensure that the facilities and their equipment are maintained and in proper working order to achieve the goals of the operating budget. Interface with the Premise Managers and Production Managers at multiple locations. Partner with the Production Director to plan and schedule work. Must maintain outstanding communication with these teams and make on-going efforts to identify appropriate opportunities to safely optimize work and spot trends via predictive maintenance techniques. This position is hands-on with expectation that the individual assists in all maintenance functions to include the management and operation of the tools and spare parts inventory. Responsible for setting up preventative/proactive maintenance schedules for all equipment and maintaining up-to-date procedures for executing same.
Understand and embrace the mission of SPARC and role in the community.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Department Manager.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Self-directed and leads small groups/teams.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
1. Ensure safe and proper operation of equipment, fertigation systems, greenhouse controls, water distribution system, security system, etc., by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; arranging for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
2. Determine the most cost effective approach for reliability and longevity of equipment and systems while achieving all SPARC safety and compliance expectations.
3. Assist Cultivation team with tasks such as transplanting, pruning, staking, irrigation, fertilization, composting, soil management, pest management, disease detection and management, inventory controls, and infrastructure maintenance in greenhouse, indoor and outdoor farming environments.
4. Preventive maintenance and repairs to buildings, grounds, and the like.
5. Complete tasks that encompass a wide variety of trades: plumbing, carpentry, electrical, mechanical.
6. Maintain safe and healthy work environment by following OSHA regulations, organization standards and legal regulations.
7. Complete reports by maintaining consistent records and receipts and entering required information.
8. Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
9. Accomplish staff results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees.
10. Perform other related work as required.
11. Maintain positive working and professional relationships with local vendors, contractors, and government staff.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work may require prolonged sitting/standing, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate farm equipment, a computer, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing. Requires close vision with the ability to see color and adjust focus. Requires lifting up to 50 pounds regularly, pushing/pulling up to 100 pounds, and using assistance (multiple people, forklift, dolly) when lifting/moving over 100 pounds.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a busy medical cannabis nursery facility. The outdoor/indoor and greenhouse facility areas are very loud due to fans and filtration systems, fluctuating between extreme cold and hot temperatures. Will be exposed to the normal chemicals found in a crop production facility (i.e. fertilizers). Work may be stressful at times and may include dealing with difficult people and/or law enforcement. Must be available to work varied hours/days, including nights, weekends, holidays, and/or events, and 24/7 for emergencies.
Required Education and Experience:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of maintenance procedures for greenhouses and indoor controlled environment facilities, finishing and drying equipment, fans, swamp coolers, generators, air compressors, pumps, valves, and electrical circuits and equipment.
2. Some experience with fabrication, welding, cutting; repair of equipment such as pumps, motors, gearboxes, and valves; and water chemistry; preventative/proactive maintenance practices, fabrication and repair of metal/plastic piping systems; and instrument and electrical work preferred.
3. Proficiency in interpreting maintenance manuals, functional specifications & engineering drawings.
4. Flexibility with weekend and extended seasonal hours is mandatory.
5. Strong problem solving, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
6. Ability to perceive and meet the needs of the team without direction.
7. Ability to maintain high standards in a fast paced, constantly evolving environment.
8. Ability to communicate clearly, honestly and effectively in all situations with staff, management, and community members.
9. Comfortable with computers with the ability to learn new programs quickly.
10. Basic understanding of Federal, State and Local employment laws.
11. Ability to adapt to changing industry and growing business.
12. Knowledge of engineering practices & procedures
13. Team member must have working knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations for agriculture, construction and manufacturing environments
14. Needs to have high level of patience and flexibility.
15. Ability to drive and transport supplies and inventory as needed.
16. No more than one point on driving record.
17. Maintain a current medical cannabis physician recommendation and CA Medical Cannabis Identification Card issued by the DHS at all times.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High school diploma; Two to three years of experience as facilities and operations worker in a farm and/or manufacturing environment. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Experience in medical cannabis industry highly desirable, but not required. Must be 18 years old and pass criminal background check and LiveScan fingerprint scan.
To apply, please follow instructions below. Failure to follow these instructions will result in your application not being considered. Thank you for understanding that while we strive to reply to all applicants, we may only be in touch with you if we'd like to invite you for an interview.
- Read the job description.
- Prepare an up-to-date resume and a cover letter that speaks to SPARC's needs and this specific position.
- Send both to email@example.com with "Facilities & Operations Specialist" in the subject line no later than 5pm on Wednesday, July 30, 2014.