Amy Tillerson, coordinator
Requirements for the Minor in African-American Studies
21 semester hours
Two of the following: MUS 151, HIST 213, REL 310, ECON 115, SOC 240, SOC 248, THEA 270, SOC 264, or any colloquium related to African-American Studies and approved by the director of the minor.
Civic Engagement Opportunities
- One course includes a civic engagement component: REL 310: Community and Practice
- Quest: Spiritual Exploration Program is available to all students and includes a significant civic engagement component.
- Programs sponsored by Religion and Philosophy including Black Baby Doll Day; Martin Luther King Jr. Candlelight March and Memorial Service, Kwanzaa, and others
- Black History Month events: Oratorical Contest with community participation, Gospel Extravaganza, Praise House Service, Peace and World Religions Lecture
- Internship opportunities: Katrina Relief, mediation and conflict resolution
- International civic engagement: South Africa, India