04
DEC
2013

New Deadline for Class of 1964 News for Spring issue of MBC Magazine Boldly Baldwin

Hello, honored  50th reunion classmates! Please post your news now, or e-mail it to me at vfrancis@mbc.edu. Final final deadline: December 10. But please don’t wait until then!

Class Secretary 1964. B.A. MBC, M.A. (English) UVA, Ph.D. (theatre history and lit) Indiana U. Retired from MBC after more than 40 years teaching, staffing, administrating. Now I research, plan, leading area historical tours. Raise your hand if you know that the Staunton-Augusta area was the first settled west of the Blue Ridge Mountains! I also promote the Staunton Music Festival, with internationally famed musicians offering an August chamber music festival with additional year-round concerts. Mother of Sarah Francisco '98, an attorney who leads national lands work for the Southern Environmental Law Center. National lands = our parks and forests. Sarah's current major responsibility is working to prevent fracking in the George Washington National Forest, just west of Staunton.
  1. vfrancis Reply
    From Susan Timmons I’ve served as a ruling elder and chairperson of the National and World Missions Committee at First Presbyterian Church, Lynchburg, and have served with three mission teams in Malawi, teaching the “Timmons Business Lecture Series” in two villages and serving as business consultant for applicants (primarily women) for micro-loans. I was honored by induction into the Woman’s Guild of the Church of Central Africa Presbyterian and the Loudoun Presbytery Charity Guild in Embangweni, Malawi. Other board service since retirement includes Lead Virginia, The Virginia Foundation for Community College Education, Opera on the James (founding chairperson of the Opera Guild and recipient of the “Brava” Award), and The Adult Care Center of Central Virginia. I’ve also chaired major fund-raising galas for The Academy of Fine Arts and Opera on the James. Tim and I have traveled to over 20 countries on 6 continents since retirement, including trekking Orangutans in Borneo. We’ll travel to our 7th continent, Antarctica, at the end of this month with a UVA group. We had a blast with Paula Stephens Lambert ’65 (my original class) in both France and Italy for her cooking schools, and we visited Paula in Dallas in November ago for a reunion of our fun Italy cooking school friends – and Paula cooked for us! I serve on the Speakers Bureau of the Hill City Master Gardener Association and give talks on my “Gardens of the World” series (10 different PPTs) to Master Gardeners, garden clubs, and senior centers. I continue to enjoy gardening and garden club work, as well as reading and time with family and friends. I’m really looking forward to our 50th MBC reunion in April and catching up with classmates!
  2. vfrancis Reply
    FROM ANN HARKINS: Thanks for giving us an easy way to be included in the class notes. Bucky and I had 11 grandchildren, and of course our 3 children and their spouses, here for Thanksgiving and it was so much fun. Air mattresses every where. We're spending Christmas and the month of January in Richmond with our younger daughter and her family. Have rented a furnished condo close to their home. Feb. and March we'll be in Myrtle Beach. We're dealing with Bucky's cataract surgery, my broken foot and new, challenging electronics on our new iphones, new car and new computer. And we are blessed to have our family, each other and our friends around us. Thanks be to God. Ann K. Harkins
  3. vfrancis Reply
    FROM BYRD ABBOTT: As you might know, my husband "Cort" died in February after a prolonged illness. So this year has been full of changes. The good news is that I have my work as a Realtor (Roy Wheeler Realty), which I still love doing. Also, my niece is being married next weekend in Charlottesville. It will be a really joyous occasion! My oldest granddaughter, Wylie Elizabeth, (for whom "home" is the Los Cabos area of Baja Mexico) is currently in college in Charlottesville, and will be a bridesmaid (by far the youngest)in the wedding. Both of her younger sisters, Halston who is a Jr at IMG Academy in Fla, and Olivia, 11 will be coming for the wedding. I will cherish having all 3 of them here.....During the Holidays I will spend some time visiting our younger son in Turkey, so that will be exciting as I have never traveled to that part of the world. I frequently see Mary Jaratt MacIlwaine who goes back and forth between Charlottesville and Roanoke. We are both looking forward to seeing old friends for our 50th in April. Can hardly wait!
  4. vfrancis Reply
    FROM GLEN ELLEN DOWNIE: "It's been fun living in New York City for the last 24 years and it's even more fun now that I'm retired. I do keep up with my MBC pals and see them as often as I can. It's always great when we can get together.
  5. Mary Juer Barnwell "Happy" Reply
    Most of my closest friends now I met at MBC. Our class graduated on the same weekend my mother 's 25th class reunion was held at MBC. Rich, our older son graduated from UVA the same year as our 25th class reunion. He is now an electrical engineer at the shipyard here in Newport News. Our younger son is working on his PH.D. in Marketing Research at Miss. State Univ. He also is a UVA graduate. Dick retired from NASA and then taught for Virginia Tech, where he had received his PH.D. many years before. I taught elementary school for 26 years at our church school, St. Andrew's Episcopal School,, taking a 15 year maternity leave when our older son was born. Our two sons have given us four granddaughters whom we are thoroughly enjoying. I am looking forward to seeing everyone in April!!!
  6. vfrancis Reply
    FROM Ellen Page Stolpman Mary Baldwin College, Class of 1964 Ron and I have been married for the past 48 years. I left Virginia on my honeymoon and settled with him in his home state of Minnesota, land of Paul Bunyan, the Minnesota Vikings, and endless winters. Aside from several transfers away to Illinois, North Carolina, and France (for two years), we have been happily settled in the Midwest. During my 26 year career, I enjoyed teaching 2nd grades as well as working with preschool and Head Start programs. I also served as a mentor to aspiring young teachers from local colleges. My husband Ron is mostly retired but remains somewhat active in the field of mergers and acquisitions. He previously owned and operated his own consulting business for many years. We have three children. Our son David (University of Notre Dame, Medical College of Wisconsin) is a gastroenterologist at Park Nicollet Medical Center in Minneapolis; our daughter Jennifer (Boston College, University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management) lives in London and is director of Marketing for General Mills in Great Britain, Ireland and the Nordic Countries; and our youngest daughter Sarah (Boston College, William Mitchell College of Law) is a trademark/ copyright lawyer at a Minneapolis law firm. We also have five grandchildren: Milan( 14), Stella (13), Vilas (12), Estee(10), and Samir (8). They are good friends with each other and live only blocks apart in southwest Minneapolis Our winters are spent in Destin, FL., where we can play golf regularly and our summers are spent on the golf course at home. Despite the challenging winters, Minnesota does have wonderfully pleasant summers!
  7. vfrancis Reply
    FROM Eleanor McCord: Anita Saffels Lawson writes that she and husband Hugh are coming to reunion, and they are bringing Darlena Sizemore Mixon..
  8. vfrancis Reply
    AND FROM ELEANOR MCCORD: Life is good in Fredericksburg. Retirement is a wonderful state. I heard from Jo Ellen Jennette Luscomb who will miss our reunion for a trip to Ireland. I will be caring for my sister who is having a double knee replacement after Christmas, which makes me feel very fortunate."
  9. vfrancis Reply
    Eleanor, please encourage your sis for me! I've had a double knee replacement (and both hips). I'm 100% pain free and able to walk an energetic little dog--my first ever--without difficulty six blocks or so four or five times a day. I think the key is a good physical therapist and following directions--never an easy thing for me! And if it's a young dog, I recommend a neighborhood teen as a daily official dog runner! RUN is the operative word here!
  10. vfrancis Reply
    From Jo Ellen Jennette Luscombe: I don't expect I'll be coming to the reunion. We are just to busy running between our 3 homes and planning 2 international trips next year. In Kenilworth, IL I am the Registrar of the National Association of Colonial Dames of America in the State of Illinois and George still goes down to his office at Mayer Brown where he is a Senior Counsel. We have had a home in Lake Geneva, WI since our children were young and now the grandchildren love to spend several weeks there in the summer since we have a beach on Geneva Lake as well as a pool up at the Country Club. We did finally sell out boat there. We've now had a home in Nashville, TN since that's also where our daughter Sara and our 2 grandsons Connor and Aidan live. We just got back from spending Thanksgiving with them there. We'll be heading out to Williamsburg, Virginia to spend the week of Christmas since we've never experienced it during the Christmas festivities. Sorry we can't make it. I'd love to see everyone again and to see all the changes made to the Campus since I left!!