13
DEC
2013

Class News from 1960

In early October the Engle family reunion–19 of us–gathered at The Pines in Davidson NC. The MBC significance, four MBC classes represented! First cousins (and 2 pairs of sisters): ANN KENNEDY Melton ’57; BETTY ENGLE Stoddard ’60; PEGGY ENGLE Trumbo ’63 and BEKAH KENNEDY Caruso ’69. Our mutual grandfather was S.M. Engle, graduate of Hampden-Sydney College and Union Theological Seminary, then located in Hampden-Sydney VA.  We visited with IVA ZEILER Lucas ’62.  One evening Ava Spencer, President Sam Spencer’s widow, was nearby in The Pines’ dining room. (Submitted by Betty Engle Stoddard)

MERYL RICHARDSON Nolan, “Fall of 2012 found Gil and I on a river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Spring 2013 we celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary in Chevy Chase. DORIS ROHNER Rogers was in attendance. July 2013, I turned 75 as I am sure many of my classmates did. We attended our sons 50th Surprise Birthday in Bermuda and celebrated my birthday a few days later. Recently I had rotator cuff surgery but I am getting better due to PT three times a week. We are looking forward to grandparents day at our grandchildren’s schools just before Thanksgiving.”  BARBARA JUDD Booth, “I’m still living on the Mendocino Coast of CA in Ft. Bragg.  Life is about as quiet and serene as it can get here.  We have a couple of seaside vacation rentals on our property which keep me busy.   Our website is www.delamerecottages.com if anyone is interested.  I have a daughter and son-in-law who live in Scottsdale AZ and a couple of grown grandchildren.  I’ve been married to my husband Ben for 30 years.  He keeps occupied with area real estate after retiring from a 26 year career in the Army.  I’d love to hear from some of our classmates.  Living where we do I’m afraid I never run into anyone.  Although it’s an absolutely beautiful part of the country I’m afraid it’s quite remote by most standards.”   “In the spring of 2013, my husband, Chuck, and I took a 50 day cruise from Beijing to Dubai.  It was a fabulous trip and we really enjoyed our time in the Middle East”, SALLY ARMSTRONG Bingley.  (Our condolences go out to Sally in the passing of her sister, Beverly A. McLaughlin, October 5, 2013.  She was also a cousin of MARGARET WILSON Wood ’50, Dr. SARA (SALLY) N. JAMES ’69 and BROOKS LASTER Wheary ’98.)  “What a wonderful response from my classmates for the Spring 2014 Magazine.  The class of 1960 has not been heard from in this manner for years. As the class secretary I am quite pleased to hear from so many. This is definitely the way to handle communication.  I too have been traveling. Dick and I have just returned from a wonderful trip to South America. We flew to Buenos Aires, Argentina and then sailed from Ushuaia around Cape Horn. It has been the experience of a lifetime! Our trip ended in Santiago, Chili. The first day of our trip I discovered 1 of our group, BETSY NOTTINGHAM Mendelson ’64 from Newburyport MA, is an MBC grad planning to celebrate her 60th reunion in 2014.  Our grandson from Australia has been living with us this year. He is currently attending JMU in Harrisonburg and we are enjoying having young blood around. It is an adjustment for us all but we are having great fun. Our daughter and her family have plans to return to the USA the end of next year. They have already purchased a home in Richmond, “SARA “SALLY” SQUIRES Erickson.

Angela Cline is office manager for the Mary Baldwin College Office of Alumnae/i and Parent Relations and Advisor to the STARS (STudent Alumnae/i Relations Society).