13
DEC
2013

News from the Grafton Society Members

1934

JACQUELINE CRINKLEY Maddex celebrated her 100th birthday on September 6, 2013!

1945

ANN WHITEHEAD Thomas, “Repeating my win in 2010, with a combination of general knowledge, endurance and luck, I was again champion of Winchester-Canterbury of the Shenandoah Valley’s 2013 Senior Olympics. My daughter, Elizabeth Wallace, is the mother of my three grandchildren - John and Sarah, who attend Christopher Newport University, and Robert, who is a sophomore at Woodgrove High School in Loudoun County VA.”

1950

“I am being well cared for at a retirement center in Lexington VA.  It is Kendal, a Quaker retirement center where Philip and I have a house and a cottage on the Cowpasture River.  Our four children are living in VA, MA, Indonesia, and MN.  The one in Indonesia is a woman minister, Rebecca Young, and she teaches in a seminary in Jakarta.  The other 3 are married and each has 2 children, in ages all the way from sophomore in college to a 3 year old, who is adorable, as you might expect. So far, we are in good health and enjoying our lives here.”
BETTY JEAN Gilmer Young.

1951

MARTHA “MARTY” KLINE Chaplin writes, “For old folk, Harvey and I have pretty good health – celebrated our 59th Anniversary!  I walk about 2 miles a day – he plays golf – I garden with some good help:  PATSY TREVILLIAN Wallenborn ’86.  Her Mom was PATSY BALLOU Trevillian ’60.  Best news of all:  Mark Jones (husband of our daughter JANE CHAPLIN Jones ’78), who has been battling Myeloma for 3 years, is now in remission.  We hope they will join us on our yearly vacation in Provence.  Jane’s daughter Jesse will be married this summer.  Our son Pete, his wife Therese and their 3 kids are all doing great.  Son Timothy is with Google in Pittsburgh.  Daughter Megan is a freshman at W&M.  Son Kevin in 2nd year at TJ in Fairfax County is a good musician as well as an outstanding student.

1952

MARGARET KING Stanley, “PATSY MURPHEY Whitman and I met in San Francisco to attend the world premiere of Tobias Picker’s new opera, “Delores Claiborne”. We are both long time opera lovers, having attended the “old” Met together for a “Madam Butterfly” in 1949 while at Mary Baldwin. We hope to meet again at the Glimmerglass Festival this summer for more opera and talk of times past.”  “I continue to exhibit professional artists at PMW Gallery (for over 30 years).  In my Greek Revival home in Stamford CT, where I have lived happily for 52 years! My three sons have given me 7 grandchildren; 6 girls and 1 boy, all living very close and happily in Greenwich CT.  I cherish the 2 years spent at Mary Baldwin,”  PATSY MURPHEY Whitman

1953

“I become more and more grateful that little tiny MBC In the fifties allowed me to have personal relationships with my professors and the staff.  All you girls already know I love you each and every one of you.  We were so blessed not to have little, black communication systems

in our hands.  There was so much time for uninterrupted thoughts, feelings and appreciation of God’s environment.  These grandchildren and yes, great grandchildren are missing that???  How does one develop humanity without humanity??  If MBC knows how, I would like to return.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas?? This I wrote in October of 2013.”  Much love, WEBER STONER Taylor.

Angela Cline is office manager for the Mary Baldwin College Office of Alumnae/i and Parent Relations and Advisor to the STARS (STudent Alumnae/i Relations Society).