21
JAN
2014

New Year’s Greetings and News of Class of ’65

Happy New Year!  Only a few weeks late.  Not many of you responded to my December “call for news” but I did hear from some of my regulars. Just before Christmas I posted news from JUDY BRYANT Skinner on her retirement, SUAN BROWNE Webb about a new grandchild, and news from PICKETT CRADDOCK.  Scroll down from this 1965 page to see those postings, and be sure to note the one about Pickett’s  Bed and Breakfast in Cluster Springs, VA receipt of a prestigious “Virginia Green Travel Star” award for its environmental commitment, including newly installed solar panels.

SARA JANE BEABOUT Hartman writes that the group of Spanish majors that spent their junior year in Madrid is planning a 50th year reunion in May 2014, which will be held at PICKETT CRADDOCK’S B & B (near South Boston, VA). In addition, a group of members of our MBC 50th Reunion Planning Committee will have a weekend planning session at Pickett’s B & B the first weekend in April. If any of you would like to get involved in helping plan our reunion for April 2015, just let me know and I will pass on the word!

ELIZABETH BROWN McKell reports that she and husband, Jay, enjoyed an incredible almost month-long adventure to New Zealand in the Fall. They got home in time to enjoy Thanksgiving with their family. After a fun Christmas, she reports that they were soon heading to Mexico for a wedding and then a week in St. Croix with friends. She also reports that she made an incredible herb cheesecake appetizer from Paula Stephens Lambert’s Cheese Cookbook – to great reviews!  I hope everyone saw the great profile of PAULA in the most recent issue of BOLDLY BALDWIN, the MBC Magazine.

EMY MARTIN Halpert writes that it has been a slow recovery from an accident last Fall when she was knocked from her bicycle and suffered a badly broken ankle which required surgery. She reports that she is now walking, slowly, but no longer needs crutches or a cane. It’s been a long ordeal, as I well know, having suffered a badly broken ankle and surgery myself in 2009.

POLLY DOVE Lamal, an artist and teacher in Charlotte, NC reports that a piece of her art – “Pigs with Cell Phones” has recently gone up on billboards all around Charlotte! If you live in that area, or pass through and have seen these billboards, let us know. You might not have realized the art was by our own POLLY.

As for me, I enjoyed a week-long trip between Christmas and New Year’s with all my family to Costa Rica! I joined my two daughters, their husbands, and two children each to a resort area in Guanacaste province called Playa Conchal. We rented two condos near each other in this fabulous resort area, and enjoyed fun days at the pool, the beach, and just hanging out being together. One day we took a four-hour drive to the Arenal volcano area where, among other things, we went zip-lining through the canopy of tropical trees! Can you believe that I went zip-lining? It was exciting!  I’m glad I did it, and now I don’t have to do it again! I’ll cross it off the proverbial bucket list. Below are a couple of pictures of me with my family on the trip.

By the way, I learned last Fall in an email from FAITH NEUSCHEL Burke that she lives full time in Guanacaste province in Costa Rica. I hope FAITH will post to this blog and tell us about her life in Costa Rica! I know I would really like to learn more!

Now I am getting ready for my next trip: a 13-day South America cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, Chile on Holland America Line in March. So I will have to report on that next time.

Don’t forget to put APRIL 9-12, 2015 on your next year’s calendar! Our 50th Reunion will be here before you know it!  In the meantime, please choose to “reply” to this posting and let us hear your news – or just email me and I’ll post it for you next time.

187132

pigs

Ann Mebane Levine is currently the Class Secretary for the Class of 1965. After 32 years of living and working in West Virginia (West Virginia University), Ann retired in 2004 and moved to Atlanta to be near family, and especially grandkids! She remains actively involved as a volunteer in grandchildren's schools, her church, The Carter Center, and as a leader in her "Senior University," a lifelong learning program for retired people at Mercer University in Atlanta.
  1. Diane Evans Reply
    Looking for a childhood friend Sara Jane Beabout formerly of Greenfield, IN and Orlando, FL.