17
JUN
2014

from Kathy Bish Hanson (1969): Class Song–and other memories!

Kathy Bish Hanson has visited Class Acts! She writes: “Reading our class song reminds me of its creation in fall  ’65. North Bailey freshmen had a lot of fun quickly putting that song together.  Do dorms still follow that tradition – competing to be the first to come up with the class song?”

Which makes me wonder: Who else from North Bailey helped with our song? Wasn’t that during Orientation Week? Who has other memories of that week? (I remember learning the words to the Alma Mater to the tune of “Tea for Two” in the Rose Garden).

Does anyone have an answer to Kathy’s question about the status of the class song tradition today?

Angier Brock is our class secretary. She is retired, divorced, and living in the historic village of Yorktown, VA, where she loves gardening, birdwatching, playing in a handbell choir, writing a little poetry every now and then, and being a grandmother.
  1. Jane Townes Reply
    For quite a few years now, classes haven't done much about class songs. I think a few of them might have songs, but almost nobody knows their song. They don't have opportunities to sing them like we did on the steps of Hunt waiting for doors to open for meals. On the occasions I've been on campus in alumnae groups of our era and each class sings, recent grads and current students look at us like the old ladies have gone nuts.