22
JUL
2014

1961 News

Submitted by:Patricia “Patty” Liebert Riddick

107 River Point Drive, Yorktown, VA 23693,

Email: pattyriddick@cox.net

Greetings Classmates!  KATHERINE “KAM” BONFOEY Bergdorf says she hasn’t much news, but she shares that “Our third grandchild just graduated from high school. She is going to N C State next year. I am taking my four girls to the Greenbrier this fall for a get together. The husbands’ noses are a little out of joint. Carl and I are planning a quiet summer. Next spring we are going on two cruises. I am still playing much duplicate bridge. Other than that we are fine and keep busy. My second daughter and her family are going to England and France the end of this month. My oldest granddaughter who is an upcoming junior at Chapel Hill is going to Spain in August for a semester abroad. My second grandson is a rising sophomore at Christopher Newport University. He and his sister are working at Bush Gardens this summer. She will be a senior in high school this year. My youngest is 12 and he is going into 7th in the gifted school in Hampton. Keeping up with them keeps me busy.” ESTHER DOUGHTIE French wrote that she keeps in touch with NANCY WOLFF Rupert at Christmas time and that she lives in Sanford, Florida.  Also she keeps in touch with MOLLY MONITOR who lives in Little Rock, Arkansas but does not do the “computing thing.” Esther says, “We had a great week in March – rented a villa on the beach in St. Martin and spent a week there with children and grandchildren.”  BARBARA WILLIAMS Craig shared that “Living in North Carolina and myMBC roommate (Patty Liebert Riddick) living in Virginia has made getting together great.  Phil and I, Patty and Larry, have season tickets to the East Carolina University Playhouse so we are definitely together five times during the season and numerous times throughout the year.  Need to go back to 2013 – scratched two things off my Bucket List – successfully completed a 5K in June and in July went on a 10 day safari in Africa.  Now to 2014 – as a result of our trip to Africa, we have an exchange student from Uganda with us. She is attending our local community college.  Our big news, Phil and I became great- grandparents on June 2nd.” JUDITH “JUDI” McENTIRE Creason shares…..”Bill and I went to St.Lucia and stayed at the Sandles Grande for my 75th birthday.  We also celebrated Bill’s birthday as we have the same birthday, different year.  We had a fun time, a beautiful place.  We will be going to Vail, Colorado, the month of July to get away from the Arkansas humidity.  Looking forward to reading about all of our classmates.”  MARY CLOUD HAMILTON Hollingshead shared that she had visited with AGNES DICK Kump and CAROL WORNOM Sorensen here in Tidewater, Virginia. At the end of May, my husband Larry and I met LOIS “FRANKIE” WILLARD Daniel and husband Randy for a delightful lunch in Elliott City, Maryland.  The occasion – we each had grandkids graduating at the same venue from different local high schools that day! I want to thank CAROL STONE Stickney for her immeasurable help with locating classmates and correcting email addresses, and I want to thank each of you for helping me as well.  I want to offer sincere sympathy to JANICE PARKER Gregory on the recent loss of her husband and to the family of STELLA FARWELL Leonard.  Stella passed away this past January of ovarian cancer.  You may appreciate viewing a YouTube video Stella made in her fight against this cancer.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fzvRv8ht4&feature=em-share_video_in_list_user&list=FL7tIa4xaf9_rK561Qbcke0A.  Not to end on a terribly sad note I wish to share that SHADE THOMAS Cronan and CAROL STONE Stickney have each said they’d love to see classmates.  Shade lives in Harwich, Massachusetts on Cape Cod, and Carol lives in Fairhope, Alabama, on Mobile Bay.  And, I live close to the “Historic Triangle” of Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown, so give me a call.  And, lastly, this will be my final column of alumnae news.  I am passing the baton to the next secretary of the Class of ’61, and I hope one of you will carry on.  It has been a pleasure to connect with each of you! Best wishes to all!

Angela Cline is office manager for the Mary Baldwin College Office of Alumnae/i and Parent Relations and Advisor to the STARS (STudent Alumnae/i Relations Society).