12
AUG
2014

Davyne Verstandig ’66

Davyne & Eric Davyne & Michael

PHOTOS! I am still a professor at UConn- teaching Creative Writing and English. This semester I will be teaching an advanced Creative Writing class – Techniques of Prose Fiction and a course in Modern Novel. I am also working with a very talented student on his independent study as he is in the process of writing a book of short stories for submission. This is his 3rd semester working with me. I have also been giving week-end workshops on memoir “My Life Is In The Ink” at www.wisdomhouse.org for a few years. The next workshop will be designed for Healing Arts professionals since I have had a number of therapists working with me. I listen to the listeners and work with them to write their stories. Memoir is the reflection and search for meaning in the events of our lives.  I am still giving public readings of my own memoir (still a work in process called The Mermaid in the Cornfield) and poetry.  Every Friday I am in Groton, Ct. spending the day with my daughter Deva and my grandsons Michael (age 5 months) and Eric (age 3). Deva’s husband, James, is aboard the US North Dakota submarine.  My sons Deven and Emerson are chefs – NYC and Litchfield Ct.  I am also a Justice of the Peace and officiate at about 10-15 weddings a year.   I have been working with a 90 year old man on his memoir which will be sent to a publisher within a few weeks – I have been interviewing him for 2 1/2 years so it is an “oral memoir”.   I am grateful for this life.

1966 Class Secretary. Retired Middle School teacher; currently working as an Activity Assistant at Shenandoah Nursing Home.