Student teaching is the capstone experience of the teacher education program at Mary Baldwin College. This experience allows pre-service teachers to synthesize and apply their accumulated knowledge, skills, and experiences, moving them from theory into practice under the supervision of highly qualified and experienced teachers.
The primary goal of student teaching is to provide the opportunity for student teachers to acquire and demonstrate instructional competence essential for success as beginning professional educators. The student teaching experience has been carefully designed to be as realistic and as intensive as actual teaching with every effort being made on the part of all involved to make the experience a positive one.
The student teacher works directly with students in a classroom on a full-time basis under the direction of a classroom teacher and college supervisor for one full semester.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION TO STUDENT TEACHING:
- Full admission to the teacher education program and continue to meet requirements application for student teaching prior to the published deadline
- satisfactory completion of a 90 hour practicum experience in local public schools
- documentation of successful field experiences suitability for teaching as demonstrated in course work and field experiences
- overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
- minimum GPA of 3.0 in professional studies courses
- submit scores on Praxis I Math
- a passing score on the Virginia Communication and Literacy assessment demonstrated personal and professional qualities, including responsibility, effective communication, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, flexibility, and professional behavior.
Note: Approval for student teaching does not necessarily mean licensure approval. Candidates for licensure must demonstrate successful student teaching experience, an overall 2.5 GPA, and
3.0 GPA on professional studies courses. Elementary Education students must take Praxis I Math and pass Praxis II, pass the Virginia Communication and Literary Assessment (VCLA), and pass the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) Assessment. Secondary Education students must take Praxis I Math and pass Praxis II if available, and pass the Virginia Communication and Literary Assessment (VCLA).
STUDENT TEACHING COURSES
(12 s.h. each) One semester working directly with students in a classroom on a full-time basis under the direction of a classroom teacher and college supervisor. Student teachers may not work, take courses, or participate in varsity sports. Application must be made the semester prior to student teaching. *Prerequisite for ED 382 is ED 300. Prerequisite for ED 383 and ED 384 is ED 310.
- 382 Elementary Education (PK–6)
- 383 Middle Education (6–8)
- 384 Secondary Education (6–12)
- 385 Student Teaching in Art (PK–12)
- 389 Student Teaching in Foreign Language (PK–12)
- 391 Student Teaching in Theatre (PK–12)
- 392 Student Teaching in Music Education (PK–12)
- 386 Student Teaching Seminar
(1–3 s.h.) Seminar is held in conjunction with student teaching. This experience allows students to discuss and examine critical issues related to student teaching. Spring semester only for RCW students.