Political Science 128: U.S. Foreign Policy
Mary Baldwin College, Staunton VA 24401
by Prof. Gordon L. Bowen, Ph.D.
July 26, 1947
1. Established the Department of Defense (had been named Dept. of War). A civilian must be its Secretary.
2. Established National Security Council (NSC).Its statutory membership: President, Vice President, Secretaries of State and Defense.(Secretaries of other departments, and Undersecretaries may be appointed at the pleasure of the President and with the confirmation of the Senate).
The Director of Central Intelligence ( DCI) and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) may attend and advise the NSC.
3. Created Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and secrecy of budget thereof.CIA was to be "responsible to the President," but supervised by the NSC.
4. Separated U.S. Air Force from U.S. Army
5. Established the Joint Chiefs of Staff
return to PolS 128 supplements page
return to Prof. Bowen's main home page