WHY STUDY LEADERSHIP STUDIES AT MBC?
You may want to know why things happen and what role people play in events of all kinds — local and global. You may want to be one of those people who make things happen and take the initiative to lead as well as to follow. Leadership studies provides tools to examine people in action — in government, business, the military, the community, and social groupings of all kinds.
Leadership studies combines theory and practice; students engaged in the discipline understand what leadership is and how effective leadership is practiced in groups, institutions, and nations. With a minor in leadership studies students will:
- understand the role of leadership in contemporary politics and business
- appreciate the complexity of making change in social systems
- use the tools of the social sciences to learn about leadership from historic records and from current events
- assess the performance of self and others in influencing action
- acquire skills in communication and the interpersonal dimensions of leadership
- consider how leaders make decisions and consider ethical questions
- gain confidence as a leader
In practical terms, leadership studies is an asset in seeking employment.