How to Connect Your Cable Ready TV and Troubleshooting Tips
First, you will NEED the following things:
1. A Cable Ready TV.
2. One piece of coaxial cable, called RG-59U, with F-type connectors. The cable should be long enough to run between the room video outlet and the place you have decided to put your television.
Second, to connect your TV:
1. Attach on of the ends of the coaxial cable to the cable connector of your TV by lining up the center pin in the matching hole and screwing it on.
2. It should be snug, but not too tight. Be careful not to bend the center pin.
3. Connect the other end of the coaxial cable to the cable connector on the video outlet for your room.
4. Consult your User’s Manual for your TV to be sure your set is programmed for CABLE and not TV ANTENNA.
5. Again consult your User’s Manual and program your TV to automatically find all the channels on the system.
1. If you are not getting any picture at all, check all the connections making sure they are connected properly.
2. If you still have no picture, and you have connected through a VCR or DVD player; disconnect those devices and attach the coaxial cable directly from the wall to your television.
3. If you only are receiving a few channels – usually channels 2 through 13 – then you need to program your TV to AUTO find all the available channels. Consult your User’s manual for your TV to determine how to access the AUTO programming on your TV.
4. If you can get pictures on all the available channels, but they are snowy, and you have connected through a VCR or DVD player; disconnect those devices and attach the coaxial cable directly from the wall to your television. See if the picture improves.
5. If the picture is still snowy, it could be your television set. Look at a neighbor’s television, or the one in your residence hall lounge to see if the reception is poor there, too.
6. If there is a problem on some channels but not on others, it is probably due to technical problems in the cable system. Please call 887-7075 and report the problem to the OIT Help Desk.
Mary Baldwin Channel Lineup
To report cable problems, please call OIT during regular business hours at 887-7075.
If a service call is necessary, an OIT technician will visit the residence hall room on an appointment basis. The student requesting help MUST be in the room during the service call.
There is no charge for routine repairs. However, if the student or an authorized person is not there for a scheduled service call, a fee may be charged for the missed appointment.