- What’s new with SMART 2015!
- Use your SMART Board Like a Whiteboard during class AND save the notes!
- How to hide the SMART board Floating Toolbar
- Importing a PowerPoint into SMART Notebook:
- Importing a WORD or PDF document into SMART Notebook
- How to turn handwriting into text
- How to change and save the default fonts
- How to Animate your SMART Board Slide:
- How to take a picture of what you have on the SMART board and save it to SMART Notebook:
- How can I record a lecture using SMART Recorder?
- SMARTBoard rooms at MBC
- How do I install SMART Notebook 15 on my office computer?
- What is the size/resolution of the SMART Boards at MBC?
- How do I get rid of that keyboard popup?
- How can make my PPT hyperlinks work? Sometimes the SMART board doesn’t seem to recognize my finger as a mouse!
NEW! Video Links:
You’ll want to watch these full screen in High Definition. To do that, click on the settings icon (1), then choose HD (2) and then click on Full Screen (3)
Introduction to SMART Notebook from School Tube: http://www.schooltube.com/video/ceadc2451b514f339d9d/SMART-Notebook-Tutorial
Using your MBC SMART Board like a White Board and then saving your notes as a .pdf https://drive.google.com/a/mbc.edu/file/d/0B1whPX_clrpGT0ExNFcta0R2ZzA/view?usp=sharing
Orienting/Aligning your SMART Board: http://youtu.be/ak7quqQ6Y2Q
Using your SMART Board like a White Board using SMART Notebook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCPWki7HTU
Importing Powerpoint into SMART Notebook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtdlvcuvhZE
Fun Tools in SMART Notebook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KwuW6bg-qA&feature=youtu.be
- Start Smart Notebook (from the desktop).
- Click on the icon that looks like a little blue screen with arrows pointing to the 4 corners – this will give you the largest possible writing surface and a little icon tray on the lower left for navigation.
- In the icon tray on the lower left click on the double sided horizontal arrows to give you the page plus tool you will need.
- Use the markers from the tray or your finger to write on the board
- When you need to go to a new blank board, click on the icon in the lower left that looks like a piece of paper with a plus sign on it.
- To go back to a previous screen, click on the left arrow. To go forward to the next screen, click on the right arrow.
- When you are finished with the class, click on the little blue screen icon again to get back to full Smart Notebook mode.
- Click/press File Save As and save the SmartNotebook file in your U: drive or on your flash drive.
- Export it as a .pdf (File, Export) if you want to keep it for later posting on Blackboard.
If you are showing images or a DVD through the computer and you DON’T want to use the Floating Ink Tools, you might want to hide the Toolbar.
- Right click on the little blue square with the white circle in it that is at the lower right hand side of the bottom of your screen.
- Choose Hide Floating Tools.
To get them back again, right click on the little blue square and choose Show Floating Tools.
How do I install SMART Notebook 15 on my office computer?How do I get SMART Notebook 15?
Notebook 15 is installed on classroom computers by OIT. If you need a copy of SMART Notebook 15 installed on your office computer, please contact OIT to request the license key. We have a limited number of licenses for this software. Once you have received the license key:
Go to the smarttech.com website to download SMART Notebook 15:
Enter the license key
Save the file to your Desktop or Downloads folder (remember which). It will take several minutes to save.
After the file (****.exe) is saved, double click on it to start the Install Wizard. Follow the instructions:
- It will tell you that this is a Trial Version good for only 90 days. Install it anyway
- Accept the license Agreement
- Install into the default folder
- Do not click on any extra products, install just Smart Notebook and Smart Product Drivers
- On the Startup Options tab, you will want to Unclick Smart Board Tools if you do not wish for these to show every time you reboot your computer.
- Do not click “make SMART Ink Document viewer the default PDF viewer”.
- Unclick Enable the Customer Service Experience.
- Unclick the Galleries if you will not use them. They are very large and take a long long time to install.
- Do not add in any languages if you will only need English.
- Click on Install.
- After the install, you might have to reboot your machine.
- Start Smart Notebook. You will get a prompt to “enter license” and put the license key in again there
Education Students may download free older versions of SMART Notebook.
Click on the blue Download box.
When asked if you have a license, say Yes. Fill in your information, using Mary Baldwin College as your Organization, College/University as your Industry and using your MBC email address. Leave NO checked so SMART won’t send you emails advertising their products.
Contact OIT for the license and make sure you tell them you need the older, unlimited license number.
Click on File Import and find the .ppt file on your U: drive or Flash Drive.
Wait a minute or two as it finds the .ppt file and converts it to a Smart Notebook file.
If this does not work, go into PowerPoint and Print the presentation to Smart Notebook Document Writer. Usually you would want to print this as editable, even if it means you will need to tidy it after the import. This should import the .ppt into Smart Notebook.
In MSWORD or while looking at your PDF, print the presentation and choose Smart Notebook Document Writer instead of a printer. Usually you would want to print this as image. This should input the .pdf, .doc or .docx into Smart Notebook.
- Click on the cursor (pointer).
- Draw a rectangle diagonally that surrounds the handwriting
- Click on the down triangle on the edge of the rectangle and choose “Recognize”
To change the font, click on the little text tab at the left of your screen. Then click on Text Style, choose your font, size and color, and click on Save Tool Properties.
To save that default font for the next time you use SMART Notebook, click on Format, Theme, and Create New Theme from Page.
- Insert an image or text box and click on it
- Click on the downward-pointing triangle in the upper right-hand corner of the box, choose Properties then Object Animation
- Select a Type of animation and the other options you require.
- Click on the Camera (Screen Capture) Icon
- Choose whether to capture a portion of the image that you choose (first or third option) or the entire screen (second option from the left)
- Select the area of the screen (first or third option) or Tap the Screen
- If your speakers are turned on you will hear the camera shutter “take” the picture. The picture will be added to a page in Smart Notebook.
If you are using the “Ink Layer” to write or draw on a Word or EXCEL document and you want to save your edits, you can SAVE AS a .pdf and the ink layer will be retained.
Carpenter ACADEMIC: 207, 210, 305, 307, 308
GRAFTON: 105, 302, 501
Pearce Science Center: 101, 105, 301
Physical Activity Center: 213D
Richmond: Classroom 2
Roanoke: RHEC 806
|4:3 Board||16:10 Board||16:9 Board|
|ACA 207Dem 108GRA 302||ACA 210ACA 305ACA 307ACA 308GRA 501PSC 101PSC 105||PAC 213DPSC 301GRA 105Richmond CL2WEN 402Roanoke 806|
If, when you touch the screen with your finger, a keyboard popup annoys you, here is how to remove it.
1) Click on the floating keyboard icon and when the Touch Keyboard appears, click on Tools and then Options.
2) OR, click on Control Panel, Tablet PC Settings, and Go to Input Panel Settings.
3) In the Input Panel Settings Opening Tab:
- Click on Point to the Input Panel icon or the tab
- Click on Show the icon on the taskbar
- Unclick For touch input, show the icon next to the text box
- Unclick Use the Input panel tab.
- Click on OK
This will move the touch keyboard to the tray at the bottom of the screen.
How can make my PPT hyperlinks work? Sometimes the SMART board doesn’t seem to recognize my finger as a mouse!
From the Start menu, click on Control Panel, Pen and Touch, and Panning. Turn OFF Single Finger Panning. Click on Apply and OK.