Owning your own computer can be a real challenge. While it is definitely handy to have a computer available whenever you need it, it can be difficult to keep it running without problems. Not everyone is skilled at the tasks involved in managing their computer setup. This is more true today with the mass of browser hijackers and virus threats that can make your PC virtually unusable. For students who run into problems and need some technical assistance, the OIT Help Desk is there to offer guidance.
Most problems are the result of downloaded programs and web browsing. Many of these downloads also include viruses and various malware. MBC requires all students to have updated Antivirus software running on their personal computers and expects students to keep their virus definitions and operating systems up to date. The OIT staff may not be able to assist students with computers that are infected or have corrupted operating systems. MBC reserves the right to disconnect infected or vulnerable computers if they pose a threat to other computers on the network.
Support for student PCs is limited to Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am to 2:00 pm.
The OIT Staff will provide the following services to MBC students with personally-owned PC systems:
Troubleshoot and diagnose software issues with your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Mac OS X system.
This consists of a free 15 minute check-up of your computer. We will recommend a plan for you. You can then take our recommendation and follow thru with these on your own. If you prefer, you can seek the services of a fee-based vendor.
Other ways you can reach the OIT Help Desk:
- Fill out an Online Help Request. This information gets all the needed information to the Help Desk fast!
- Call the Help Desk with your question at extension 7075. Call support from the Help Desk is each business day from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
- Visit the Help Desk in OIT on the ground floor of Grafton Library. The entrance is from the parking lot. Walk-in Support for student PCs is limited to Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am to 2:00 pm.
- User Workshops where you can fix your own software issues. Periodically the Help Desk will hold workshops. Be looking for announcements of such workshops in Announcement Digest.per week. Most reported computer problems are not hardware failures. They are problems with configurations, browser hijackers, viruses, corrupted files, improper cabling, etc. The members of the Help Desk are trained to recognize and guide you in resolving such problems. In many cases, they will be able to show you how to avoid such problems in the future.
The responsibility of maintaining your computer is yours alone. Although the Help Desk can help you with typical software problems and questions, there will be times when you will have more serious trouble. The Help Desk CANNOT make hardware repairs to your PC or laptop. They are not an authorized vendor service site and therefore will not open your personal machine or try to make any hardware repairs.
Fee-based support is available from various in-town vendors. If your computer or printer is actually broken, the Help Desk will tell you how to reach a private vendor for fee-based service. The following local vendors offer fee-based support. Fees and charges vary. Be sure to get an estimate before committing to any service.
Typically these vendors can address the following issues for you. Always get an estimate before you commit to any service.
- Virus and malware scan and removal.
- Software installation support.
- Peripheral support, limited to those devices that have the appropriate drivers for the OS.
- Consultation on how to handle various PC responsibilities, including backing up your data or re-installing system software on your disk drive.
- Hardware troubleshooting and repair.
It is imperative that you have the original software for your PC available in case you have to reload your system.
The following is not a complete list of local vendors, nor are they recommended by MBC, they are listed for your convenience. Please check the local phone book for a complete list.
Local FEE BASED Service Providers
1008 W Beverley St.
Staunton, VA 24401
1838 Jefferson Hwy
708 Greenvile Ave.
Staunton, VA 24401
Dell Certified Repair Technicians