In order to serve on the IACUC committee or work as an animal handler, personnel must complete appropriate training. On-line training is available through the AALAS Learning Library. To complete this training:
1. In collaboration with the IACUC chair (IACUC members) or your supervisor (animal handlers), review the courses available and determine the appropriate training. Courses are listed here.
- IACUC members who have not served on the committee for three years or more should complete “Essentials for IACUC Members.”
- Animal handlers should complete “Working with the IACUC” and species-specific courses.
2. Enroll in the AALAS system:
- Go to https://www.aalaslearninglibrary.org/Pages/Home.aspx. Click the “Enroll Now” button.
- Click on the “Myself” option and the “Continue” button.
- Click on “No, I do not have an access code” and the “Continue” button.
- Fill out the requested information.
3. Return to the home page and log in.
- Click on the “Animal Care and Use” link on the right side of the page.
- Click on the “Free Courses” link.
- Find the link for the first course you want to work on under the “Compliance and IACUC Training” or the “Species-Specific” link.
- You may work through the material at your own pace.
4. When you have completed reading and studying the material, take the course exam.
- BE SURE TO PRINT OFF A COPY of your course completion certificate. Transcript information is not provided for free courses.
- Provide a copy of the certificate to the IACUC Chair (IACUC members) or your supervisor (animal handlers).