Education, Health, and Social Work
At Mary Baldwin, students have the opportunity to not only learn in the classroom but also to explore their fields in a local and global setting.
- Apply what you’ve learned through direct practice in the Social Work field, such as a placement at Bridgewater Retirement Community, Augusta Health, Shenandoah Valley Head Start, Western State Hospital, Richmond Organization for Sexual Minority Youth, or Project Horizon, a domestic violence agency.
- Take an internship or field placement abroad. Students Vanessa Lancaster ’10 and Jeincy Paniagua ’10 completed their MBC experience serving as role models to underprivileged children in Honduras.
- Gain student teaching experience in one of more than 25 school divisions in Virginia, including Staunton, Waynesboro, and Augusta County, and those near our regional centers.
- Use the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired to design a unique senior research project, like Mercedes Riddick ’06, who used the timely topic of a possible pandemic flu outbreak to study the quality of communication from local health departments in Virginia.
- Join an academic honor society such as Kappa Delta Pi.
- Learn about real-world situations from guest speakers representing Martha Jefferson Hospital, Augusta Health, and Rockingham Memorial Hospital.