Mary Baldwin makes decisions regarding closure of the main campus and the Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences based on conditions on the campuses. In most cases when the main campus is closed, MDCHS will be closed. Regional centers that are located at a community college or higher education center will follow the determination made by the officials in that location; that is, if Piedmont Virginia Community College is closed, then the MBC center located there will also be closed. For regional centers, like Richmond that operate at independent locations, officials in that MBC center will make and announce the decision.
MAIN CAMPUS (STAUNTON) and Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences (Fishersville)
When the main campus and Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences are to be closed due to inclement weather, every effort will be made to notify the community by 6:30 a.m. or earlier if feasible.
Please note that when the main campus is closed, essential services (food service, security, physical plant) will continue to be provided for resident students, but nonessential facilities such as the Physical Activities Center and Grafton Library will likely be closed.
If Mary Baldwin College’s main campus and MDCHS are to be closed due to inclement weather or an emergency situation, the College will
- Send an email to all current students, faculty, and staff members at their official mbc.edu email addresses using the group “email@example.com.”
- Send a message via text and email to MBC employees and students who have subscribed to receive “Outreach” messages through the BAM system.
- Update the main page of mbc.edu as soon as possible. (NOTE that if electrical or telephone service is interrupted it may be impossible to update mbc.edu, so it is best to seek information by other means as well if you are in doubt.)
- Notify the following stations to carry the message of closing or delayed opening:
WVIR-TV (NBC 29)
WHSV-TV (ABC 3)
- It is our understanding that the following radio stations pick up our notifications from the local television stations and rebroadcast the information:
WTON (94.3 FM / 1240 AM Staunton)
WKDW (AM 900 / 93.1 FM, Staunton)
WMRA (90.7 FM, Harrisonburg)
WVTF (89.1 FM Roanoke, 89.3 FM Charlottesville)
WCYK (99.7 FM, Charlottesville)
WSUH (102.3 FM, Charlottesville)
- Provide a voice update on the college’s Emergency Information Line. Call 540-887-7378 for a recorded message.
- Snow Removal Plan (PDF)
PVCC Web Site
In case of inclement weather in the Richmond area, faculty and students should watch WTVR Channel 6 television or listen to WTVR-Lite 98 radio and 88.9FM WVTF Public Radio. We will also change the greeting on the center’s voice mail system (804-282-9111) if the office is closed because of the weather.
To find out if classes will meet, please call the office at (540) 343-7206 and listen to the voice mail message. Class cancellations and office closings are also announced on TV channels 7 (WDBJ), 10 (WSLS), and 13 (WSET) and the following radio stations: WVTF 89 FM, K92 FM, WFIR-AM/WVPR FM 94.9, WSLC 610 AM, or WSLQ-Q99 FM.
(540) 234-9261 from Harrisonburg
(540) 213-7002 from Staunton
(540) 943-7002 from Waynesboro
(888) 750-2722 from other VA areas
BRCC Web Site