CLOSED March 5: MBC main campus and Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences

CLOSED March 5: MBC main campus and Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences : Originally Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015

Boldly Baldwin word mark

Health Requirements for International Students

ALL STUDENTS AT MBC ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE. Health care in the U.S. is extremely expensive and health insurance is a necessity. If you don’t have insurance and don’t know how to get it, you may buy health insurance once you get here. There is a company that we use for foreign students and you may purchase insurance from them. The cost for this insurance will be somewhere around $500 a year. It is also important for you to understand that even with health insurance you will still have expenses for medicines and deductibles (the amount the insurance company won’t pay).

YOU ALSO MUST FILL OUT THE  Health Form. Please note that you must have some immunizations before you come. If you do not have these shots, you will have to get them once you arrive.

You must have the following shots to go to school in the U.S.:

  • Tetanus Toxoid - both the original series and a booster shot ( a shot given later on when you are older).
  • A Measles/Mumps/Rubella shot – these are usually given as one shot. You get them when you are a child and once again when you are 15 years old or older. If you have only had the first shot when you were a child, you must get the booster shot. You may get that here, but it will cost you about $35. So it would probably be cheaper for you to get it in your own country.
  • Tuberculin test - if your test is positive, you will need to bring a chest x-ray with you.

More information about Mary Baldwin’s Health Center